Thursday, September 8, 2011

Putting up Fresh Green Beens without canning them!

Did you know you can freeze green beans?  I thought I would share a few tricks for those of you who do not can but would still like to enjoy fresh veggies through the winter.  Its simple but a little time consuming.  The end result is worth your trouble though.

1. String & Snap Beans then rinse.

2. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil add 2 cups of beans to boiling water and return to a boil. Cover and boil for 3 minutes.
4. Remove beans from pot with a slotted spoon and add them to ice cold water to cool for 3 minutes.
5. Once Cooled drain your beans and they are ready to store.
6. Repeat the last 3 steps until all beans have been cooked.(You can use the same boiling water 3-4 times just be sure it comes back to a rapid boil before repeating)
7. Once drained then pour into your freezer storage bags.  You can use regular storage bag but you must make sure you remove all the air. I use a vacuum sealer which is ideal for this project.  You place your beans in the fresh seal bags then seal it with your device.  It sucks all air out and seals it completely.
Now all you do is store in the freezer and bring out when your ready to enjoy:)


2 comments:

  1. I do this with my cowpeas and I think they taste so much better than canning! My fingers are starting to get sore from all the shelling but I'm sure I'll be glad to have them in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely getting bookmarked. Thank you so much for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete